Monday 25 April 2016

Mike Duffy


  I waited a few days to talk about the Mike Duffy verdict. After waaaaay too long this is finally over. In the legal sense at least. But like many people, I'm not quite ready to be over it. For two very different reasons.

 The first is quite obvious, to anyone who knows me, I am angry. The amount of money spent. The amount of time dedicated to it. Not to mention the amount of work that didn't get accomplished during this time. That makes me angry.

  When the judge said Mr. Duffy was a credible witness I knew what the outcome was going to be. I wonder....if he wasn't a political figure, or wealthy, would the outcome have been the same? Would a less expensive lawyer have made the verdict different? We will never know.

  My second reason for waiting is I am disappointed. When then PM Harper made Mr. Duffy a Senator I was excited. Here was a man Canadians trusted. For years we had watched his political commentary without ever knowing his politics. He was smart, fair and had common sense. Something that seemed to be lacking at that time.

  Boy were we wrong. I was wrong. He became arrogant and entitled. As if there was no accountability at all. And he was right. He "wasn't sure" where his primary residence was. Unclear as to who should pay for his travel to speak at a Conservative fundraiser. Does this sound like someone intelligent enough to help run our country???

  Now the court has said he did nothing illegal. No jail time. Not one day. Not guilty on all counts.

  But you owe us Mr. Duffy. You owe the people of Canada something. You owe us an explanation as to why you quickly went from being a real person to being a politician. You owe us an apology for being arrogant when you were supposed to be one of the people who make, and change, the laws of our country that effect each and every one of us. 

  You owe us to resign. Quietly. With what little dignity we will allow you to have. To retire and go away to your  home in Prince Edward Island. Safe and secure in the knowledge now that it is indeed your primary residence. Live the rest of your life out of the spotlight. Reflecting on when and where you went wrong.

  And you owe us to not collect your large, government pension. Not one penny of it. If by law you must then donate it to a children's charity in P.E.I.......there is never enough government money.

  Because you did do wrong Mr. Duffy. No matter what the judge said. You did do wrong.

  Ang


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...