Monday 9 November 2015

Christmas Light Controversy



  I'm a fairly rational person. I try to see both sides of the issue. I attempt to research an issue if the people around me feel very strongly about something. But sometimes I just can't see the fuss. I just can't. Like this whole Christmas lights up before Remembrance Day argument.

  The past few years I have had people tell me how disrespectful I was being by putting up my Christmas tree before November 11.  Funny my veteran husband had no issue with it....except to say it was waaaaaay too early. Not disrespectful. Just early. Hmmmm interesting. 

  It would seem to me that if you have been to war your opinion on this means more than the guy from Dragon's Den does. My father-in-law, also a veteran, thinks it's too early but not disrespectful to him in any way. In fact when it comes to putting up the outdoor decorations he would say it was a smart idea. Before the snow and cold. Smart. Again interesting.

  Want to do something respectful for the veterans? Go to a veterans hospital. Show up at a cenotaph. Wear a poppy. Take your kids or grand kids to the legion afterwards and shake the hands of these men and women. Say thank you for your service. Ask about their medals...remember military medals are on the left, legion medals are on the right and don't necessarily mean military service.

  Write, email or call your MP. Demand change to the Veteran's Charter. Shovel the driveway of a veteran this winter. Say hi and chat for a moment. Call your father, grandfather, mother or whomever you know that has served and ask if you can do anything for them. Do something that will actually make a difference in their lives. Put the time and energy that you are wasting on the "Christmas light controversy" into helping a real live person who will appreciate your effort.

  Wednesday is a day of remembrance. For those who never came home and those who came home victorious but changed. They fought, and died, so you and I could put up our Christmas lights whenever we choose. Early or not.

  Ang

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...