Monday 23 November 2015

Highlight Reels 2015



  I was out with a friend over the weekend at a concert. Her favorite singer. Perhaps her favorite person. She was extremely excited to see him and when she had the opportunity to meet him and chat for a moment her excitement level was through the roof. I was so happy she had the chance. It will definitely be on her highlight reel of 2015. Which makes me wonder....what will be on mine?

  Not having the greatest memory is both a blessing and a curse. It sure makes it easier to forgive the day-to-day irritants of the people you share your life with. I don't hold much of a grudge because truthfully if it's not important to me chances are I won't remember anyway. My husband remembers most everything. Even with his "toxic brain syndrome"....another day I'll explain that.

  This past year brought a lot of joy to us as a family and some sadness. Funny how they seem to balance out in the end. We have two new additions to one side of the family. One through birth. The other through marriage. And they are both wonderful additions who we will never get to spend enough time with thanks to geography.

  We lost a few friends and family members. They all led full lives so we mourn for ourselves not them. Some others got well through the amazing technologies now available and some are still fighting the good fight. 

  Definitely on the list was our Alberta vacation. Spending time with my oldest friend made me happier than I can say. It was like we had just seen each other last week. Funny how you have those people in your life. What a gift it is. Also spending some time with our niece, who we never really knew, was great. She has turned out to be quite the woman. We could be friends even if we weren't related.

  Alex's grade six graduation was nice but I think his first day of high school was more touching for me. Watching him go, much taller than three months ago, made me realize just how much he has changed. We won't have to worry about him I think. The child who was "born with a conscience" is now almost a teenager with one!

  Riley decided he was old enough to walk to the bus on his own. That's a huge step. For both of us. Considering it's not in my line of sight it makes me apprehensive but little steps will make the bigger ones easier. For me anyway! 

   John and I got to spend more time alone together this year than we have in the past twelve. Kids change everything. We are always grateful for a few quiet moments. Too few and too far between. But we laugh a lot when the four of us are together. Yell a lot too but just the good things for now.

  So that is my highlight reel to date. An entire month to go before I can finish it off. With a family vacation and Christmas to add into the mix I'm sure I'll have a few more things to add to the good list. Fingers crossed we can leave the sad one alone.

  Hmmmm.....I wonder if we made Alan Doyle's list?

  Ang

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...