Monday 30 November 2015

Refugee Help



   I'm a little perplexed this afternoon.  We have a dresser that we need to get rid of. It's still in great shape and if someone took the time to give it a quick sanding and a coat of stain it would be perfect. As it is there are just a few scratches on the top. But we no longer need it and I like the idea of someone getting some use out of it.

  The Mayor of Ottawa said the city was going to do whatever it could to help the refugees that will be resettling in our great city. They will be coming here with nothing so who better to donate this too? I call the city and they redirect me to another organization that is handling the supplies. Great. 

  I call the next company and they are very informative. They thank me for wanting to help and redirect me to the Salvation Army which is where they are getting the furniture from. Strange but things must be outsourced I guess.

  Next phone call is to the Salvation Army. A very pleasant person answers the phone and says absolutely they can pick up the dresser. But, and here is the perplexing part, they are not supplying the original company with furniture for refugees. She did say however that they are collecting coats and mitts. But not household items. 

  Wanting to make myself very clear I tell about the phone calls that have led me to them. She reassures me that they are not furnishing places for refugees. And she wants me to be aware that this dresser will be going into a retail store to be sold. Hmmmm

  After three phone calls my dresser is going to where we originally were going to send it. Before we had the brilliant idea to help the refugees. I guess we can't help them after all. No matter what the city says.

  Ang

****so before I published this I thought I should call the city to see what's what. The lady I spoke to took some notes and asked a few clarifying questions. She seemed to think it was odd and was going to pass this info on to her supervisor. Maybe they can figure it out. ****

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...