Wednesday 18 November 2015

My Very Own Hamster Wheel



  So I'm running behind.....again. I seem to be on a hamster wheel some days. You know, running running and getting nowhere. That's my day so far. Truthfully I thought I was getting off to a great start this morning. Coffee was being sipped before six thirty and I could see almost the entire island by seven am! Trust me that's progress.

  Then I made the big mistake of flipping on yesterdays episode of The View for some background noise. Now I'm not blaming the show. In fact I did not "sit" to watch just sort of listened as I went about tidying the island. I'm still productive. Progress is made. When  the episode is over I looked at the guide on the PVR and saw not one, not two, not three but four episodes of The Blacklist. Game over.

  As you may have heard I love this show. I love James Spader. How could I possibly have missed four episodes??? I have no explanation except being tired from all these very early mornings. But this situation must be rectified. Immediately. So I did. All four episodes. One morning. I'm ashamed. Not really it is The Blacklist after all.

  Netflix has changed the way we watch television. Before it would never occur to most people to sit down for ten hours in one day and watch an entire season of a program. Then spend the next day with season two. If a friend asks if you watch a specific show chances are it's on Netflix and you can go check it out immediately. If you like it say goodbye to the next week of "free time" you have. 

  Binge watching, as it's called, is a relatively new phenomenon. What makes it different from other addictive things is that we aren't ashamed to talk about it. We proudly boast about having spent the entire weekend on the couch, eating take out food and watching the entire series of Breaking Bad. It's a badge of honor. In fact when a "can't wait for it" series comes out we will invite our friends over to binge with us. Craziness.

  I'm a huge Downton Abbey fan and it's a reason to celebrate when the new season arrives on Netflix. It also means don't call me during the day or expect hot meals. And we won't even talk about the movies. You never have to leave your home. It's the ultimate entertainment at your fingertips. All for $8 a month!

  My only complaint is the difference in content between Canada and the US.  While we get all the British shows...which I love....there is so much more content on the US version. Especially in the movies. As soon as I cross the border I log in just to see the difference. And boy what a difference.

  It's time for me to get off this wheel and get some things done. Maybe I'll just turn on the tv for background noise......

  Ang 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...