Thursday 12 November 2015

Another Non-Controversy



  Another day, another non-issue issue in the news. Apparently Starbucks is anti-Christmas. All because their new cup is red with the Starbucks logo. What the hell??? It's becoming my most over used phrase lately. But really...what the hell???

  Yesterday the controversy was over Christmas decorations before Remembrance Day being disrespectful of veterans. Today, forget about the veterans, we can now take issue with coffee. I believe this is what is called a "first world" problem. Does anyone really and truly care what is on the cup of their over-priced and over-hyped coffee? 

  Lots of people, and I do mean lots, have jumped on the Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays bandwagon. Except I've never actually had someone tell me I couldn't, or shouldn't, say either one. No Jewish person has ever taken offence when I've said Merry Christmas to them. Nor have I taken offence when wished a Happy Hanukkah. Why would you? The fact that someone wants you to have a happy or merry time should be enough. It's much better than "get away from me" or a few other phrases I won't say here.

  But I am seeing a trend when it comes to this time of year. And I don't think it has to do with the supposed political correctness folks are complaining about. I think it's that some people think the "season" starts too early. Plain and simple. In the stores. At the mall. Television ads. Special catalogues. On line. It's just too early for most people.

  When most of us were kids we put up a tree around the 20th and it came down January 7...right after "old Christmas". Of course that was a real tree and it would dry out and pose a fire risk so it went up late and came down early. Now my fake tree can go up November first and stay up til March if I so choose. 

  For me, and I speak only for myself, I love putting the decorations out and the tree up early. I'm not the most organized person. What you might do in a day or two could take me three weeks. Besides I like nothing better than sitting in my beautifully decorated living room with my friends or family while everyone is relaxed and unstressed. You can do that in November but not so much in mid-December.

  So don't worry about who has what up. Or what someone wishes you. Say what you want to say and decorate when you feel it's right. It doesn't matter what someone else thinks. It really doesn't. Besides I would bet money that there are some who are jealous, yes I said jealous, that you are done and they aren't.

  And if you are so offended by the new Starbucks cup, get a travel mug....it's much better for the environment anyway.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...