Wednesday 4 November 2015

Holding My Tongue



  I was going to write about the new Canadian government today. How happy I was to see the new cabinet with so many female faces looking back at me. What joy I felt that finally the entire government wasn't run by middle-aged white men. But then I thought I should wait and see how I felt about this new government in a few months time. So that's what I'm going to do.

  Today instead you are going to hear about....groceries. Or more to the point the insane cost of food. Not lobster or caviar. Filet mignon or duck l'orange are not on the menu. Just the basic meat and potatoes. Can you tell I spent the afternoon at the grocery?

  We don't live by the ocean so I expect seafood to be pricey. And farmers must earn a living too...I get that. Stores have owners and stock holders who have bills to pay. Totally understand that. But that's not how the grocers explained away the huge increases in prices. They laid it fully on the back of transportation costs. Namely the price of gas.

  The question that begs to be asked now is "why hasn't the price of food decreased when the price of gas did"? After constantly hearing in the news that higher prices were directly linked to the high price of gas, are they changing their tune? Were they lying then or lying now? Or both? You decide but remember gas used to be $1.29 a liter in Ottawa. Now it's $0.89.

  All I know for sure is you need to have a healthy food budget to eat healthy food when a bag of apples is $4.99...not organic btw. I guess a benefit of red meat being so expensive is we won't have to spend as much money on cholesterol medication! 

  When you head out to the store the next time, take a closer look at the prices. See if they have increased from last week. I bet I know the answer. Or better yet take last weeks receipt. That could be scary.

  On this happy political day for me...going back to those female faces....I'm just wondering how tomorrow my conservative friends will blame the high price of food on the new Prime Minister.

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...